India Maria

mario micc at home.com
Sat Jan 27 18:28:52 UTC 2001

Quite true!

In the old radio "comedias", movies of the "golden era" of Mexican cinema, and
in past TV and radio commercials, the "indito" dialect was used by the mass
media to differentiate the strong class differences between the Euro-centric
dominant culture and the "indios, patas rajadas"...indians shredded feet... an
allusion to the indigenous people going barefoot... and thus barbarians)

Sometimes, as in the stories of la india maria, the indito dialect of Spanish
was used to exaggerate the "innocence" of the protagonists against the ultra
sophistication of their rich, powerful and evil antagonists.

But usually the indito protagonists succeeds and becomes part of the larger
dominant Mestizo culture in a tragic form of "happy ending"........

And we wonder why so many beautiful Raza finds it necessary to bleach their dark
hair, and demean our people who are "pobrecitos estan TAN prietos!!!"

mario e. aguilar
www.mexicayotl.org