Origin of [tl]

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Wed Jan 3 12:09:03 UTC 2001

These are all good examples, but before anybody goes very far in reinventing
the wheel, may I suggest going back to the original published literature on
the subject, consulting Wick Miller's Uto-Aztecan cognate list, and asking
Karen Dakin and Una Canger for their thoughts on the apparently exceptional
cases.

To add to the less transparent examples of tlV where V is not a, there is
tlohtli 'hawk' and -tloc 'near to, adjacent to' (cf. the difrasismo tloqueh
na:huaqueh 'the universal and all-pervading (deity)'.

Fran