Cuixtli

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Jul 4 01:12:11 UTC 2001

"The most common male name so far is Cuixtli, which I assume is a variant of
cuixin, hawk. Looking through Lastra's Areas Dialectales, I cannot find any
modern dialect that uses a related form; those that have forms of cuix- use
-in, not -tli. I am wondering if the -tli form is the product of non-native
Nahuatl speakers regularizing  a non-standard noun. Has anyone else found
cuixtli rather than cuixin?"

Hi, Alec; it's good to see your work with the Mixquiahuala records is progressing.

The following entry is from Simeon's dictionary:

"cuixin o cuiztli (Aub.), s. Milano. R. cui."

Milano is indeed "hawk". "Aub." refers to Aubin's Memoire sur la peinture didactique et l'ecriture figurative des anciens mexicains (Paris, Paul Dupont, 1851); I don't have a copy of this source on hand, so that's as far as I can take this.

Suerte,

David Wright