Nahuatl word for center point of the "compass"

alexis wimmer malinal at evhr.net
Thu Jun 21 03:33:20 UTC 2001

I believe the center as cardinal point was named *tlalxicco*, in the
umblical of the earth. This was where the fire burns. *tlalxictenticah*, ‘he
fills the umbilical of the earth’, was one of the names of the fire or fire
god. Incense was offered towards the fire as well to the four cardinal
directions. I don’t know if an other name of the domestical fire:
*nauhyoteuctli*, the lord of the Four (directions??) was related with the
four cardinal points. But the ideological connexions of the center were
many.

Best regards.

Alexis Wimmer.

http://nahuatl.ifrance.com