quetzalteueyac

Chichiltic Coyotl notoca at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 7 06:22:10 UTC 2001

Hi

Not so long ago I vaguely recall a post saying that the noun quetzal-li
shouldn't be translated as precious. I think it went onto say that this
meaning only came into effect after the conquest. However, I continually see
the noun translated as precious as opposed to say just feather. Could
someone please clarify the usage of and meaning of quetzal-li as I am a
little confused with the different views.

Also, do I assume correct from the post below that a feather coming from the
lip means a good speaker and therefore quetzalteueyac would be similar in
meaning to the noun nahua-tl, a person who speaks clearly and intelligently?

thanks

EZR