another interp

John Joseph Sullivan Hendricks jsullivan at prodigy.net.mx
Sat Mar 17 01:02:40 UTC 2001

Fran,
    First of all, yes, I forgot to include the object prefixes:
"nikkowaskia" and "nikpixtos". I do that pretty often because in this
environment it is as you say: the "k" is not pronounced.
    Second, I don't think we are dealing with the purposive form here,
because in the examples I have heard so far, the main verb stem always takes
the form of the preterite theme.
    And since you mentioned the purposive forms here, the Huastecan speakers
I work with deal with the purposive forms in the following way:
"-co" and "-to" are the singular past tense forms, while "-ki" and "-ti" are
the singular future forms. I haven't ever heard the purposive used in the
present tense. In all cases the plural forms are achieved by adding the
"saltillo". I specifically asked for "-kiw", "-kiwij" and "-tiw", "-tiwij",
and they are not used. I can't remember right now how the command forms
work, but I will ask next week.
    John Sullivan