fullbright proposal for graduating seniors in nahuatl studies

John F. Schwaller schwallr at mrs.umn.edu
Wed Sep 5 13:29:31 UTC 2001

approve: nahuat-l.pass
To: schwallr at mrs.umn.edu, schwallr at selway.umt.edu
Subject: fullbright proposal for graduating seniors in nahuatl studies
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2001 22:32:29 -0500 (CDT)
From: Greg Whitworth <aztec at mail.utexas.edu>

I will be a graduating senior at the University of Texas at Austin and I am
considering applying for a fullbright fellowship to study nahuatl in Mexico in
2002-2003. I am seeking some advice as to the feasibility of this possible
project. In general, the fullbright for graduating seniors and first semester
graduate students emphasizes class work and mentor relationships in the host
country over and above truly independent research. I would like to ask this
forum if there are any universities with respected programs in studying
nahuatl
particularly but especially with the aim of rendering texts during the
colonial
period. I would like to have a few Mexican contacts that I can converse with
in order to construct my proposal and demonstrate that the chosen affiliated
institution can support and encourage such an endeavor. The training could be
in classical, colonial or modern spoken nahuatl, whatever is most feasible
really. It could also have a brief fieldwork component (such as studying in
Tlahuica or in other locales) and my studies could also include courses in
ethnohistory or colonial history.
Anyways, I would appreciate any advice that anyone might have and Mexican (or
other) scholars who might be able to assist me. My main concern is whether I
should just do my language studies in the US and formulate another topic
related to contemporary anthropolgy or colonial history (which may necessitate
another missive to the listserve for further advice).
Sincerely,
Greg Whitworth
University of Texas at Austin
History Department