Macrons etc.

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Mon Apr 15 15:44:52 UTC 2002

Dear John:

When I need macrons or International Phonetic Alphabet characters in general I use SIL's encore fonts, available free in three different character sets. You can view and/or download them at
http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/encore-ipa.html

The only drawback is that the latter fonts don't have upper-case alphabetic characters. SIL offers a more complete version, with upper-case, but they charge you for the license:
http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/encore.html

They have other options that can be explored at
http://www.sil.org/computing/catalog/

Getting a bit off the subject, I've downloaded and played around with the Linguist's Shoebox, available on this last page for free; it's a user friendly database application that lets you enter linguistic data and then generate dictionaries and between-the-lines morphemic translations. I'm thinking about trying it out for colonial period Otomi but haven't found the time.

Saludos,

David