Xiccuepili

John Sullivan, Ph.D. jsullivan3 at mac.com
Mon Apr 29 14:01:36 UTC 2002

The other day my native speaking assistant used the following phrase to
mean, "Come back!: "Xiccuepili". I immediately had him run it through a few
derivations:
    "xiccuepilican", "Come back (you all)!"
    "quicuepilia", "He or she comes back."
    "quicuepilihqueh", "They came back".
OK, now what's going on here. Is this kind of like saying in English, "Move
it!", or "Hurry it up!"? Could this type of construction be the origin of
the Mexican Spanish, "Córrele, córrale, córranle"?
    John Sullivan