Un toponimo tlaxcalteco

Chichiltic Coyotl notoca at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 9 14:47:05 UTC 2002

Hi

I have a couple of questions / queries re: tlan in this post:

Would Carman be using tlan (derived from tlami). Tlami meaning to come to an
end, to be consumed, to finish??

Also, I was wondering about your usage/translation of -tlan David. Firstly,
would this not be an unusual position to place a locative suffix for a place
name. Locative suffixes usually go at the end of  compounds(from what I've
learnt and seen - my experience is limited and I could be wrong)?? However,
the end of this compound would end up with two locative suffixes, -c being
the second. This could suggest that a locative suffix -tlan would not be
part of the structure of this compound??

Secondly, regarding your translation of -tlan "debajo de"/"junto
a"/"entre"/"en". Would this suffix usage (for place names) usually require
the ligature -ti-? There is another -tla:n suffix meaning "place of, at".
This one has a long vowel length. I still think it is out of place??? Is my
understanding of this correct???

>From: David Wright <dcwright at prodigy.net.mx>
>Carmen Aguilera, en su edicion de este manuscrito (1984), transcribe y
>traduce el toponimo asi: "Atlancatepec, 'Lugar del cerro donde termina o
>esta el agua'". No entiendo donde ella ve la idea de "terminar".

como "Atlancaltepec", de esta manera: A:(TL) sustantivo "agua" - TLAN
posposición "debajo de"/"junto a"/"entre"/"en" - CAL(LI) sustantivo "casa" -
TE:PE(TL) sustantivo "cerro" - C(O)posposición: "en"/"dentro"/"sobre". De
esta manera el significado podría ser "sobre el cerro de la casa, junto al
agua".