nezahualpilli

Paul Anderson indus56 at telusplanet.net
Wed Feb 20 04:17:25 UTC 2002

In a very generous reply to an earlier query, one listmember provided me
with a list of epithets for Tezcatlipoca, as the Enemy of Both sides
(part of which I enclose below). I have no Nahuatl, but one epithet
appears more than once:
nezahualpilli.

Two questions:
1) Am I correct in thinking that Nezahualpilli was also the name of the
son (grandson?) of the Nezahualcoyotl?
2) If the latter means roughly 'fasting coyote' how might Nezahualpilli
be translated?

Leading, I suppose to a third: does it seem plausible that the stories
of Nezahualpilli and Nezahualcoyotl going forth from Texcoco to
challenge Moctezuma II and I respectively, have a mythic dimension ...
with the Mexica figures in some sense acting as doubles for Quetzalcoatl
/ Tezcatlipoca?

 ihuan quitocayotique, titlacahuan, ihuan yaotl, *necoc* yaotl,
     moyocoya, nezahualpilli..
      and they [also] named him titlacauan, and yaotl, necoc
     yaotl, moyocoya, neĀ‡aualpilli. (b.1 f.4 p.67).