Nahuatl studies in Zacatecas

John Sullivan, Ph.D. jsullivan at prodigy.net.mx
Tue Jan 8 16:59:59 UTC 2002

Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Summer Studies en Modern and Classical Náhuatl
July 1-August 2 (five weeks)

I. Fours weeks of classroom study (Monday through Friday)
    A. Two hours per day of Modern Huastecan Náhuatl conversation
taught by native speaking teachers.
    B. Two hours per day in transcription and translation of
unpublished nahua colonial manuscripts.

II. One week visit to a Nahua community in the Huastecan region.
Students will live with a nahua family for five days.

Cost: One thousand dollars. This includes tuition and all course
materials, as well as all the expenses related to the Huasteca trip
(round-trip transportation between Zacatecas and the Huasteca, room
and board). Not included are transportation between wherever you are
coming from and Zacatecas, and room and board during the four week
classroom period (although we will help you with these arangements).

I will only admit 14 students for the session. Those interested may
contact me at jsullivan at prodigy.net.mx

The Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas is
a non-profit organization I have set up which grants scholarships to
Mexican indigenous students so that they may do their undergraduate
or graduate studies in Zacatecas. The students dedicate 10-15 hours
per week to the Institute teaching classes in their native language
and/or participating in research projects. I will be setting up a web
site soon which will describe the Institute in more detail, as well
as the services it provides.

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Profesor del Centro de Estudios Prospectivos de la
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas.
Director del Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de
Zacatecas, A.C.
Av. Guerrero 227, int.12
Col. Centro
Zacatecas, Zac. 98000 México