Quetzalcoatl

Elisabeth Curiel liccuriel at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 20 17:55:55 UTC 2002

To Brant:

Brant:
[ am not sure that the Mexica understood Quetzalcoatl as "precious twin"]

Lisita:
Quetzalcoatl-Venus was worshiped in many important cities such as
Teotihuacan and Tula, many many centuries before the Aztecs.  They indeed
knwe all the meaning of the ancient religion, but I doubt that Aztecs would
give away any precious and sacred knowledge related to their highest
priesthood, such as that of the venerable and old god
Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli-Quetzalcoatl.

The little they let us know is that they believed he ruled the sky at noon
(the twelfth hour of the day). They performed some rituals when Venus
aligned with the pleiades.

Brant:
[even though one might be able to pull that meaning out of the use of coa-
for twin]

Lisita:
I see you know nahuatl. Then you can guess what glyph Aztecs used to
represent a twin in their writings and statues to represent that God (The
precious twin).  There were two enormous Quetzalcoatl heads in the entrance
of the Great Temple, that the friars described as "monstruosas" and
"espantables". (Those good Those innocent and sweet friars, and I mean it,
because I respect them very much)

“Leyenda de los Soles” is a dark and inexplicable document.
Nobody can dare to say that can interpret it. But now that you mention it,
would you like to discuse some of tose dark paragraphs?  Like the meaning of
the "heycomitl" in paragraph 2, that Primo Feliciano Velazquez (nahuatlato)
called in Spanish "biznaga".  The paragraph says: "Mixcóatl el menor huyó,
escapó de sus manos y se metió apresudado dentro de una biznaga -or
hueycomitl"

I don't like Primo Feliciano Velazquez biased interpretation. Do you know of
someone else's translation, available.

I live in México, of course, and you don't know how great advance Internet
has been to us. We can now talk to people like all you.

Elisabeth