Enemy of Both Sides

r. joe campbell campbel at indiana.edu
Tue Jan 15 01:59:04 UTC 2002

Paul,

   Here are all (I think) the occurrences of "necoc [both] yaotl [enemy]"
in the Florentine Codex.  Book and page numbers are given in the Dibble
and Anderson translation (the 'f.' number is irrelevant.)

Joe

necoc**

1. tetzalan, tenepantla motecaya: ipampa i, mitoaya *necoc*
     yaotl,.
      he brought discord among people, wherefore he was called
     "the enemy on both sides." (b.1 f.1 p.5).

2. ihuan quitocayotique, titlacahuan, ihuan yaotl, *necoc* yaotl,
     moyocoya, nezahualpilli..
      and they [also] named him titlacauan, and yaotl, necoc
     yaotl, moyocoya, ne‡aualpilli. (b.1 f.4 p.67).

3. in icuac nemia tlalticpac, yaoyotl quiyolitiaya, yehuatl
     quiyolitiaya in teuhtli, in tlazolli, cococ, teopouhqui
     tepan quichihuaya, tetzalan tenepantla, moquetzaya: ipampa
     i, motenehua *necoc* yaotl, teca.
      when he walked upon the earth he quickened war; he quickened
     vice, filth; he brought anguish, affliction to men; he
     brought discord among men, wherefore he was called "the
     enemy on both sides. (b.1 f.4 p.68).

4. auh in titlacahuan, no quitocayotiaya tezcatlipoca, moyocoyatzi,
     yaotzi, *necoc* yaotl, nezahualpilli:.
      and titlacauan they also named tezcatlipoca, moyocoyatzin,
     yaotzin, necoc yaotl, ne‡aualpilli. (b.3 f.1 p.12).

5. intla oquichtli otlacat, ic quinotza miquiz, anozo yaotl,
     ceniaotl, *necoc* yaotl, chicoyaotl, yaomahuitl,.
      if a boy had been born, they therefore called forth [as
     his name] miquiz, or yaotl, cenyaotl, necoc yaotl, chicoyaotl,
     or yaomauitl. (b.4 f.4 p.34).

6. ic ei capitulo, oncan motenehua: in tlatolli in huel inyollocopa
     quitoaya, inic quitlatlauhtiaya tezcatlipoca: in quitocayotiaya
     yaotl *necoc* yaotl, monenequi: inic quitlaniliaya in tepalehuiliztli,
     in ihcuac yaoyotl mochihuaya..
      third chapter. here are related the words which they uttered
     from their very hearts as they prayed to tezcatlipoca,
     whom they named yaotl, necoc yaotl, monenqui, to request
     aid when war was waged. (b.6 f.1 p.11).

7. *necoc* yaotl:.
      the traitor (b.10 f.2 p.38).

8. in *necoc* yaotl, ca chiquimoli,.
      the traitor is a gossip. (b.10 f.2 p.38).

tinecoc**

9. auh inic *tinecoc* yaotzin, inic timoyocalatzin, inic timoquequeloa,
     inic ayac motempan: ma xicmotlahuantili, ma xicmihuintili,
     ma xicmoxocomictili in toyaouh,.
      "and as thou art necoc yaotl, as thou art moyocoyatzin,
     as thou art moquequeloa, so that none be at thy borders,
     intoxicate our foes; inebriate them, make them drunk."
     (b.6 f.2 p.14).