Two questions from Zacatecas

John Sullivan, Ph.D. jsullivan3 at mac.com
Fri Jul 12 23:51:06 UTC 2002

Hi Michael,
    Example 1: I realize the postpositions are dealing with two different
relationships. What I am concerned about is the fact that the grammatical
relationship between the verb and one of its objects, "Juan", is different
in each sentence. Actually, this grammatical relationship doesn't even
appear to exist in the first example: the two object prefix slots allowed
for the applicative verb "ilhuia" are occupied by "no" and "te", and yet,
another object, "Juan", is present in the sentence. Reexamining Molinia, I
see that there are two relevent possibilities for "teilhuia":
"ninoteilhuia", "quejarse a la justicia", and "niteteilhuia", "acusar a
otro". If we are going to use the example with the reflexive pronoun (as is
the case in the example that started this discussion), it would seem to me
that there would be two possibilities for mentioning the person against whom
the complaint is lodged: "niteteteilhuilia" (and I have never seen this
before), or "itechcopa ninoteilhuia Juan" (I believe this structure is
common).
    Example 2: I may be wrong, but I don't recall seeing in any of the
grammars an explanation for object prefix order based on the indirect/direct
object distinction. I know it works out this way most of the time because
indirect objects tend to be human, but if as a matter of fact the order is
based on the human/non human distinction or on the animacy hierarchy, as
Sergio Romero from Tulane commented a while ago, I would like to know.
    John