No subject

robert barkaloff fvorshk at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 6 20:28:02 UTC 2002

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum so greetings to all.

I'm looking for info on the relationships between Nahua and Northern
Uto-Aztecan languages, particularly the Sonoran and Shoshonean language
areas.

I'm familiar with some Nahuatl and I have heard some Paiute, and they didn't
sound at all alike to me, and looking through some Paiute word inventory I
was not able to recognize any similarities between words so I am puzzled as
to why these languages seem to be firmly linked in the minds of linguists.
Is it merely glottochronology based on some word list from the days of
Kroeber?

Thanks.
Robert Barkaloff
robert at coatli.com