ixtlahua/debt

SANCHEZ JOANNA M js9211 at csc.albany.edu
Wed Mar 13 14:33:05 UTC 2002

I had been reluctant to put my two cents in when this discussion first
surfaced, but now I'd like to add some fodder to this epistemological
fire.
	It may be that we can claim 'social reality' to occupy a different
plane than the 'metaphysical', but we cannot lose sight of the fact that
human beings can only act meaningfully in the 'real world' through a
system of ideas, and that for some of us, it is the system of ideas
underlying pragmatic action that is an important focus of research.
Any separation of the two systems is an artificial distinction we
ourselves impose on reality.  I agree that Nahua concepts of debt,
payment, and gods are poorly understood and need to be examined.  But I
draw the line at suggesting that we can ignore metaphysical considerations
as an unimportant component of Nahua or any other cultural phenomena.
	We have seen on 9-11 how 'spiritual' ideas can be very potent
motivators of individual action, even while it is apparent that the
proponents of said action have very pragmatic underlying goals in mind.
And our own national rhetoric relies heavily on the affective values
ascribed to metaphysical conceptions of God and Country to motivate
individuals to support and participate in economically grounded
retaliatory action.
	I enjoy being a list member, but have often been
disappointed at what I perceive to be a disciplinary prejudice against
those who approach Nahua materials from a different perspective than that
of the majority. I would ask that more tolerance be afforded those
whose academic proclivities lead them to investigate the nature and
dynamics of symbolic systems. The examination of such systems
can reveal semantic organizing principles which may ultimately enhance our
understanding of Nahuatl linguistics.

	'Nuff said.  Thanks.  Joanna Sanchez