miawa (was: tecuichpotzin)

John F. Schwaller schwallr at mrs.umn.edu
Mon Mar 18 14:39:29 UTC 2002

From: Gloster David <David.Gloster at mch20.sbs.de>
To: "'Kevin P Smith'" <ksmith at umail.ucsb.edu>
Cc: "'nahuat-l at mrs.umn.edu'" <nahuat-l at mrs.umn.edu>
Subject: RE: miawa (was: tecuichpotzin)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:08:40 +0100

Hi Kevin,
I know the verb /miawati/ from the modern dialect of Amatlan de los Reyes
in Veracruz (25 years ago).
They used to say "in sentli miawati" (in centli miahuati) when the corn
(maize) plants got the flowers (like a little plume) on the top.
The flower itself was also called /miawatl/. So I assume it means something
like "bloom" or "blossom". That would fit to -xochi- (or as you wrote
-xoxhi-) in the name you mention. So it could mean "blooming flower".
This is only an amateur's guess, so you'd better wait for the experts'
opinions!

Best regards
David Gloster
Ottobrunn, Germany