miawa (was: tecuichpotzin)

david at gloster.net david at gloster.net
Mon Mar 18 15:17:30 UTC 2002

Note: This message bounced the first time I sent it as I apparently used an e-
mail address other than the one I subscribed from. I appologize if the message
is already irrelevant, but I must try out several addresses to find out which
one works.

Hi Kevin,

I know the verb /miawati/ from the modern dialect of Amatlan de los Reyes in
Veracruz (25 years ago).

They used to say "in sentli miawati" (in centli miahuati) when the corn (maize)
plants got the flowers (like a little plume) on the top.
The flower itself was also called /miawatl/. So I assume it means something
like "bloom" or "blossom". That would fit to -xochi- (or as you wrote -xoxhi-)
in the name you mention. So it could mean "blooming flower".
This is only an amateur's guess, so you'd better wait for the experts' opinions!

Best regards
David Gloster
Ottobrunn, Germany