sardonic nicknames

Kevin P Smith ksmith at umail.ucsb.edu
Fri Mar 15 00:08:25 UTC 2002

Many thanks to Mark and everyone else who was kind enough to steer me to
_Nahuas After the Conquest_. Yes, that was exactly the reference I had
lost. And thanks also for the tip on Maxixcatzin. I was about to use
it. I'm still working on the character of Ahuachpitzactzin, whose name Joe
Campbell translates as "thin drizzle." It's obvious how this could be a
cradle name, but isn't it also possible that it was more poetic, something
like "fine dew" or "light mist?" Additionally, there are indications
that Ahuachpitzactzin was born under the unfortunate day-sign, Ome
Tochtli, which predisposed one to excesses, especially drunkenness. Could
the name "thin drizzle" have been a Nahua elder's attempt to somehow
lessen the effect of a tonalli more inclined to downpours and floods?

--
Kevin
ksmith at umail.ucsb.edu