HMAI supplement

David Wright dcwright at prodigy.net.mx
Thu May 30 16:52:12 UTC 2002

Listeros:

If any of you have come across manuscripts with alphabetic texts in Otomi, or native pictorial manuscripts from otomi-speaking towns, I would appreciate hearing from you. I'm currently compiling a database of such material for a forthcoming supplement to the Handbook of Middle American Indians; general editors are Michel Oudijk y María Castañeda de la Paz, both of the Institute of History of Religions, Copenhagen.

In return for your colaboration all I can offer is a mention in the list of collaborators and marking catalogue entries with the initials of their authors.

If anybody has material of this sort, I propose the following course of action, to avoid duplicating our efforts: I would like to receive a brief note mentioning the material that should be included, of which you have reproductions or access to originals, together with the signatures. If this material is not yet in my data base I will send models for writing up the catalogue entries. One of the fields is a transcription of the first two or three lines of text; if this is a problem (Otomi has a lot of strange phonemes) I can work together with you on this.

The idea is to put together a catalogue as complete as possible, to support future studies of indigenous manuscripts in Otomi and other languages.

Sincerely,

David Wright