Xiccuepili

John Sullivan, Ph.D. jsullivan3 at mac.com
Wed May 1 02:50:06 UTC 2002

Thanks Sergio,
    The only difference I would have with your parse is that the "k" object
is indirect, not direct. Since "cuepa" is transitive, it would take a direct
or reflexive pronoun without the need for the applicative suffix. The
presence if the applicative here indicates the presence of an indirect
object, and thus, the surprising equivalence with the Mexican Spanish "le"
in "córrele", "apúrale", etc. Also the "leismo" ("le" used as a human direct
object pronoun) of peninsular Spanish is not used in México.
    John