QU: Nahuatl words -- accented in English?

John F. Schwaller schwallr at mrs.umn.edu
Mon Oct 7 15:06:31 UTC 2002

At 09:01 AM 10/7/02 -0600, you wrote:
>Might I ask if the accentuation
>policy applies also to place names in current use in Mexico? I am thinking of
>Teotihuacan, Chimalhuacan (a better example, perhaps), Popocatepetl, and the
>like.

What is strange is that modern accentuation of place names is frequently
different from appropriate Nahuatl accentuation.  For example Teotihuacan
should be TeotiHUAcan, but is written today as Teotihuacán.  Similarly
ChimalHUAcan but written today as Chimalhuacán

John F. Schwaller
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dean
315 Behmler Hall
University of Minnesota, Morris
600 E 4th Street
Morris, MN  56267