Nahuatl sounds (was: Re: christian text in nahuatl)

anthony.appleyard at umist.ac.uk anthony.appleyard at umist.ac.uk
Wed Sep 4 07:19:44 UTC 2002

On 3 Sep 2002, at 22:59, Matthew Montchalin wrote:
> ...  I hope I am not introducing noise
> into the list, this just makes me wonder a little bit. I have
> had the benefit of hearing a Nahuatl 'tl' sound from an actual
> speaker a couple years ago, without which benefit I would be
> wondering about it to this day.

There may be no point in me mentioning this, but another way that
some people are exposed to the [tl] sound nowadays is via the
Star Trek cult in the Klingon space-alien language
http:///www.kli.org which was invented by Marc Okrand. It seems
to contain some other Nahuatl features such as having to learn
subject-and-object pronoun combinations separately.

I have heard the Nahuatl [tl] sound on television.