Pipil/Nahuat(e) questions

Alan King alanrking at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 30 18:18:44 UTC 2002

I am new to the list, and I don't know whether I am
expected to introduce myself, but would like to. I
have been working in Basque linguistics for over
twenty years, both in theoretical (chiefly
grammatical) and various practical (applied) areas. I
also have wider interests, largely typological, in
many languages ranging from Europe to Oceania, and I
tend to work mainly with minority languages. I have a
good command of Spanish. However, I lack experience
with Native American languages, and that fact sets the
tone of this my first posting to the list.

I am about to spend approximately a year in El
Salvador for personal reasons. Apart from a three-week
preliminary visit earlier this year, this is my first
experience residing in Latin America. I would very
much like this visit to be an occasion for expanding
my horizons in terms of both learning from and
contributing to my new environment. I am at present
trying to prepare and document myself, prior to
leaving in a few weeks.

>From my initial reading and inquiries I have found out
that the main indigenous language of El Salvador is
Pipil or Nahuat(e), which is either a dialect of
Nahuatl or very closely related indeed (if it is to be
considered a separate language). I have also learnt
that it is on the very edge of extinction if not
indeed already extinct (as my information is not
up-to-date). Finally, I have got hold of a copy of
what I assume to be the standard work on Pipil/Nahuat
to date, Lyle Campbell's 1985 book "The Pipil Language
of El Salvador", which I am now studying. That is
really all I know. The acquaintances I made in San
Salvador on my last visit seemed to have little
knowledge of or interest in the actual present-day
situation of the language or its speakers (or
non-speakers), although they otherwise seemed like
very nice people. I should add that I am not oblivious
of or unsensitive to the very difficult overall
situation of the country at the present time: lack of
resources, urgent priorities, etc. etc.

Now I will come to my question, and it is a very
general one to begin with; I may follow up with more
specific, detailed and academic queries afaterwards,
but first I need to "feel out the situation" as it
were.

I am assuming that there must be somebody in Nahuatl
Studies with some interest or experience in Pipil,
even if it does probably doesn't hole a central place
in the discipline. At this point I am looking for
general advice on where to go, what can be done, and
also basic information on the current state of
affairs. Basically anything, but it is not easy to
find out much (even the Internet has fallen short
here). The following is NOT a questionnaire but merely
suggestive of some of the things I'd like to know to
start off with. Can anyone help?

1. How many speakers of Pipil are left, if any? Where
are they, and what is their situation?

2. Are there people in El Salvador who are interested
in studying, teaching or cultivating the language, or
who would view such activities favourably? Who are
they and where can they be found?

3. What is the popular attitude to the issue at
present (beyond the ignorance or indifference I have
so far encountered)? What is the official attitude?
What views are found within academic circles?

4. What resources exist in the country, or indeed in
other countries, for pursuing an interest in the Pipil
language? What interest exists, for that matter, in
circles where Nahuatl is studied?

5. Are there any ongoing programs concerned with the
language, or individuals working in the field, who
could be contacted, with a view to either learning
about or contributing in some way to the endeavour?

6. What other advice or suggestions can anybody give
me?

I'm sorry about the length of this post. Next time I
shall try to be more brief!

Pampa Diyux!

Alan R. King
Basque Country

=====
Please reply to ONE (not both) of the following addresses (ONLY) / Erantzun bakarrik helbide hauetako BATERA mesedez (ez bietara):
alanking at eirelink.com / alanrking at yahoo.com