paleography

Frances Karttunen karttu at nantucket.net
Sun Apr 6 19:48:39 UTC 2003

A while ago there was a query--originating, as I recall, from the Newberry
Library--about available paleography guides.  I had something pertinent in
mind, but I couldn't at the moment lay my hand on the publication I was
thinking of.  Now I have it at hand, but in the meantime the query received
one or more useful responses.  Nonetheless, let me bring this to the
attention of anyone who might find it helpful.

Back in 1981 the University of Arizona Press put out a work-book style
publication (plastic ring binder) titled Northern New Spain: A Research
Guide.  The compilers were Thomas C. Barnes, Thomas H. Naylor, and Chalres
W. Polzer.  It contains a seven-page chapter "Paleography" with a long list
of standard abbreviations and samples of how they appear in texts.  Since
notarial abbreviations are a particular obstacle to reading, this list of
examples is particularly useful.  Other helpful chapters are "Money and
Currency," which shows Spanish units of currency and their relative value,
"Weights and Measures," and "The Structure of Colonial Government."

Although this guide was published a long time ago, it may still be available
from Arizona.  I think I acquired the copy I have in the 1990s.

Fran Karttunen