research query

John F. Schwaller schwallr at mrs.umn.edu
Fri Apr 25 13:33:58 UTC 2003

From: "Brigid & Nick Nichols" <neocelt at earthlink.net>
To: <nahuat-l at mrs.umn.edu>
Subject: research query

I am a graduate student and my thesis concerns mid-19th century saddlery.
In the course of my research, I have encountered references to horse
brushes being made with "Okatka" bristles. I do not know whether these
bristles were of animal (hair) or vegetable origin, as both materials were
(and continue to be) used in horse brushes. The Okatka bristles were said
to come in three colors: gray, black and yellow, with the gray being the
best quality for brushes. The reason I'm writing you regarding this
esoteric subject is that although I've searched through many period
dictionaries, the only reference I've been able to find for the word
"okatka" is in the Nahuatl language! I think it would be entirely possible
that these bristles were being imported from Mexico, hence the use of a
Nahuatl word (I'm assuming that it is a colloquial term in this context).
Can you please circulate my query within the Nahuatl language studies
community (or direct me to appropriate sources)? Please be assured that any
assistance you may be able to provide will be most appreciated!

Regards,
Nick Nichols
neocelt at earthlink.net