Q on Molina entry

Joost Kremers joostkremers at FASTMAIL.FM
Wed Aug 27 22:05:32 UTC 2003

On page 1 of the Nahuatl/Spanish side of his dictionary (at least the
Biblioteca PorrĂșa edition), Molina gives the following entries:

aactializtli. trote. del que camina.
aactiuh.n. yr trotando. Prete. onaactia.

I'm not sure what to make of this: the present stem of the verb aactiuh
ends in a consonant. My first thought was that this is a
preterite-as-present verb, with an original stem of something like
*aactihu(i/a). But then how is the form onaactia composed? I assume it's to
be read as aactiya, but that doesn't explain where the -hu- dissapeared
to. And what about the verbal noun aactializtli? Doesn't that suggest that
the stem is in fact aactia?

I'd appreciate it if someone would shed some light on this for
me... (Karttunen doesn't list these words, by the way.)

TIA

Joost

--
Joost Kremers