Q on Molina entry

idiez at MAC.COM idiez at MAC.COM
Wed Aug 27 23:41:01 UTC 2003

Hi Joost and everyone,
        The root of this word is probably "aqui", "to enter", with a glottal
stop reduplication, "ahaqui". This then goes to the combining form,
which resembles the preterite, "ahac". Then the auxiliary verb "yauh"
is added with the "-t(i)-" ligature, shortening from "-tiyauh" >
"-ti(ya)uh" > "-tiuh". "ahactiuh", "he, she or it goes entering
(trotting)". The preterite form would be "ahactiyah", with the full
preterite form of the verb "to go", "-yah". The the antecessive "o-" is
added. It looks like a directional "-on-" is also added, but its short
vowel is absorbed into the long vowel of the antecessive. Thus,
"onahactiyah", "---went off trotting". What's funny about this verb
(unless I'm completely off on the preceding analysis) is that the
entire form, including the auxiliary verb is transformed into the
"-liztli" active action noun, "ahactiyaliztli", "the act of going
entering (trotting)".
        By the way, does anybody have anything to say about the new edition of
Andrews's grammar? I thing I like the first edition better.
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Francisco García Salinas 604
Colonia CNOP
Zacatecas, Zac. 98053
México