Response from nahuatl.info

nahuatl at nahuatl.info nahuatl at nahuatl.info
Tue Jan 7 00:26:57 UTC 2003

Tlazohkamati for your many comments and examples...though we at
nahuatl.info (Nahuatl Tlahtolcalli) are only on lesson #7, and I am not
convinced that I am capable of providing logical responses to all of your
questions and comments.  Yes, I will change our title to your
correction "Tlahtolcalli."  As far as the source of the dialect in the
lessons that we study - Itztli Ehecatl has the Spanish/Nahuatl book by
Martinez, which he obtained from the Nahuatl University.  Yet, we have a
long way to go in sorting out all of the details, such as (which dialect?) -
and I cannot speak for Itztli who translated the lessons into English.

I do know that Sr. Ramos' (Nahuatl Instructor) coursework is from Casa de
Cultura de Cholula, San Pedro Cholula, Puebla, Mexico.  Although Itztli is
fluent in Spanish - I  merely have Latin-based reading skills.  English is
my first language, and I only learned a handful of Nahuatl words as a
child, of which I found some of the Nahuatl words to be unique to Nahuatl
speakers in Torreon, Coahuila, Mexico.  Perhaps the handful of Nahuatl
words that I learned as a child were all that remained from a now
disconnected past to my family’s Nahuatl speaking ancestors.  My
family "looks" like the "Olmecah" and I am not convinced that Olmecah
ever "disappeared."  Rather, I think they merely integrated with incoming
Aztecah and other pre-existing Native peoples. [From what I
understand "Olmecah" is an academically applied (?) Nahuatl word to the
assumed, "mysterious" civilization that once ruled across Anahuac
(MesoAmerica).]

Yes, we do find many mistakes in our online Nahuatl lessons as we meet each
week and I dutifully make the corrections to the website as often as I
possibly can.    For example, I don't accept "in" as a translation to
mean "the."  Our  nahuatl.info  chatroom  has proved to be a valuable tool
in our learning experiences, with indigenous knowledge being shared that is
not readily found in your wonderful Nahuat-List.   We will do our best to
implement as many corrections as possible by using the Nahuat-List as a
resource as well.

My regards to all,

Citlalin Xochime