Nahuatl dialects

r. joe campbell campbel at indiana.edu
Tue Jan 21 18:53:27 UTC 2003

   The English 'v' (pronounced as [v]): a fricative sound pronounced by
forcing the air stream through the aperture formed by placing the upper
teeth on or just inside the lower lip.

   In most dialects of Spanish, when the orthographic 'b' and 'v' (which
are pronounced alike in any case, in spite of the efforts of teachers) are
neither preceded by [m] or a pause, they are pronounced by appproximating
the upper lip to the lower one while the air stream passes through.  The
narrowing does not deserve the name of "fricative", but that's the label
normally applied to it.

   The Hueyapan pronunciation of /w/ (orthography 'hu') between vowels is
like the *English [v]*.