Baidianus Ms. was RE: Etimologia de Texcoco

Coon, Brad bcoon at montana.edu
Thu Jun 19 19:24:15 UTC 2003

To my utter surprise, my library does have a copy of the facsimile edition
of the Badianus Ms.
An admittedly very quick perusal turned up only one plant name (in plate 19)
with any resemblance to the first segment of Tetzcohco, namely "tetzmitl",
identified as Sedum dendroideum, Span. 'siempreviva'.
The translater notes that "Dr. Cornyn gives the derivation of the name
Tetzmitl as rocky land
obsidian (tetl stone, itztli obsidian, mitl arrow)."

Brad Coon
Reference Librarian
The Libraries-Montana State University
bcoon at montana.edu       (406) 994-6026