Etimologia de Texcoco

Roger Byrne arbyrne at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 19 22:52:34 UTC 2003

>The glyph on the webpage at the url sent out by Carlos comes from
>the Mendoza Codex.
>Orozco y Berra's explanation doesn't really solve the problem though
>either for the
>glyph or the word. He differentiates, as we have done in this
>discussion, between the
>actual meaning of the word and the pictographic morphology of the
>glyph. So, if I'm
>understanding him correctly, he says that the word actually means
>"place of stopping,
>detaining, or remaining" (I know, not a very elegant translation).
>I'm a little wary
>about accepting this interpretation just because Ixtlilxochitl says so with no
>morphological or etymological corroboration. Ixtlilxochitl's
>interpretation could
>very easily be a folk etymology.
>Then Orozco y Berra goes on to say that the glyph is essentially a
>rebus (although he
>doesn't use this term) not related to the actual meaning of the
>toponym and that it
>refers to "jarilla de risco" which in English I think would be "rock
>rose". And this
>rebus is arrived at by identifying the flower in the glyph as "tlacotl," which
>according to him means "jarilla" (rock rose)--although this word often means
>"stick"--, and "texcalli" which corresponds to the rocky hill. This
>interpretation of
>the phonetics of the glyph is more problematic than the others I
>mentioned before. I
>give him the benefit of the doubt that term "tlacotl" can mean
>rock-rose. But even if
>that is true, it seems unlikely to me that a tlacuilo would resort
>to "tlacotl" to
>produce the syllable "co" when it would be much easier to use a more
>transparent
>image, especially since a pot (comitl) is so commonly used to represent this
>syllable. And in any case, pictographic glyphs images like this tend
>to be stylized.
>That is to say that a flower is a flower, not any particular species
>of flower, just
>a flower. So, having a flower growing out of a rocky hill might
>invoke the idea of
>"rock rose" and hence its phonetic articulation, but then to get
>"texcalli", the
>rocky mountain would have to serve the double function of specifying
>the type of
>flower and signifying its own phonetic articulation. I would be
>interested to know if
>there any other examples of glyphs serving double functions like this.
>This leads back to one of the interpretations to which I referrred
>originally: that
>there is a word texcotli or tezcotli or something similar that
>refers to some kind of
>plant (maybe it is jarilla). The more I look at it, the more I think
>maybe this maybe
> [...]

Now that the Texcoco discussion has turned botanical, I thought I
should point out that the flower depicted in the Mendoza glyph for
"Tezcuco" (folio 3V) looks very much like Dahlia coccinea, perhaps
the most beautiful of all Mesoamerican ornamentals.  The artist
confused me at first because he shows the ray flowers as yellow and
the disk flowers as red.  However, a quick check of Dahlia  coccinea
images via Google did produce a hybrid which has ray flowers that are
red and yellow, with the central part of the petal red and the outer
part yellow.

Dahlia coccinea has a wide distribution in Central Mexico and
although Oscar Sanchez  doesn't report it specifically for the
Texcoco area in his "La Flora del Valle de Mexico",  he does note
that it grows there  between 1,000 and 3000 meters.

Possibly also relevant here is that Alexis Wimmer's Classical Nahuatl
Dictionary site lists the Nahuatl name for Dahlia coccinea as
"acocohxôchitl".  I will leave the linguistic analysis to the
linguists.

Orozco y Berra's "Texcotli, es la jarilla de los riscos"  may be a
reference to another member of the Asteraceae.  Sanchez lists
"jarilla" as the common name for 5 different species of Asteraceae in
his Flora. Dahlia coccinea is not one of them.

Roger Byrne

--
Dr. Roger Byrne
Associate Professor