tequixquitl

idiez at mac.com idiez at mac.com
Sun May 11 14:58:07 UTC 2003

Joe,
	I talked to my sister-in-law about tequesquite. She says when she was
little,
and still living on the ranch (El Tepetate, Zacatecas), her mother
would buy
tequesquite, in the form of granules, like table salt. It was only used
as a meat
tenderizer. For example, if they were boiling a chicken, and the meat
was very
tough, they would put tequesquite in the water. You can still buy it
here in Zacatecas.
	I'm also stumped with how "quixtia" gets nominalized in this word, if
indeed this
is the correct root. Nominalization including the preterite suffix
"-qui", however,  is common in
Huastecan Nahuatl. For example, "nitlamachtia" > "nitlamachtihqui"  >
"nitlamachtihquetl".
tequixqui
John

John Sullivan, Ph.D.
Centro de Estudios Prospectivos
Universidad Autónoma de Zacatecas
Instituto de Docencia e Investigación Etnológica de Zacatecas, A.C.
Francisco García Salinas 604
Colonia CNOP
Zacatecas, Zac. 98053
México