Owl Legends

Mark David Morris mdmorris at indiana.edu
Sat May 24 00:41:53 UTC 2003

Please excuse this general Mesoamerican culture question, but I am hoping
that somebody can save me a few hours of book leafing.  Radio Universidad
in Tlaxcala does bi-weekly broadcasts on History and Culture, some of it
more or less based in historical and archeaological literature and some of
it based in oral legend.  On March 8, the program related the story of a
Maya prince who was transformed into the owl by the sun for his persisted
effort to spear the sun with his atlatl.  In briefly trying to look up
this legend in the library , I haven't been able to find anything like it.
Is anyone familiar with this legend and could someone point me to a
written account of it?

Thanks,
Mark Morris

La muerte tiene permiso a todo