Movie Trivia

Mark David Morris mdmorris at INDIANA.EDU
Mon Oct 27 00:03:56 UTC 2003

Dear List,

Is anyone well acquainted with Marisa Sistach's film _Perfume de
Violetas_ (2001)?  I ask with an interest in clarifying a line of
dialogue.  In case there is, the issue is this:  While walking to
school after being raped the first time by Topi, between sobs Yessica
disparages men, "cochinos, cerdos" etc. etc.; then
the perspective changes and she begins muttering other things before
arriving at school to lament the loss of her school supplies and bag.
Among her mutterings, I thought I heard her say, "nitonto, ni. . ."  I
recently used this film without subtitles in a class and had to
translate the dialogue myself.  Since I may very well use it again, I am
interested in clarifying this point, especially because it might offer a
useful entry to talk about ethnic issues in Mexico City's urban
migrations.

thanks,
Mark Morris

La muerte tiene permiso a todo