A query about a translation in Andrews's Nahuatl textbook

anthony.appleyard@umist.ac.uk anthony.appleyard at UMIST.AC.UK
Mon Sep 1 21:51:10 UTC 2003

Amazon.com has at last coughed up the new version of Andrews's
Nahuatl textbook. I have been reading through it.

On page 502 (in the new version) in a discussion about place
names he says that A:yo:to:chcuitlatlah means "at the abundant
armadillo excrement". This seems such a strange idea that I must
point out that [cuitlatl] also means "bottom", which may be the
meaning here. If any of you can identify and go to the place, I am
wondering if near the place is a land feature looking like the back
end of an armadillo. (I am in Manchester in England.)

It says that Teotihuacan is Teo:-ti:uh-huah-ca:n = "at the place of
the owners of the elder gods", not "the place of deification" or similar.