Ethnohistory Society

John F. Schwaller schwallr at mrs.umn.edu
Mon Apr 12 14:29:15 UTC 2004

Subject: American Society for Ethnohistory call for papers

2004 Annual Meeting American Society for Ethnohistory
Holiday Inn, Chicago Mart Plaza
October 27-30, 2004

Continuing Encounters:Across Space/Through time

The Newberry Library's D'Arcy McNickle Center for American Indian History
is pleased to host the 2004 Annual Meeting of the American Society for
Ethnohistory.  The theme of this year's conference, "Continuing
Encounters:  Across Space/Through Time," focuses attention on a process
that has been integral to the evolution of ethnohistorical scholarship
over the course of the past decade.  Employed initially by scholars whose
work emphasized the contact, colonial, and early national periods, these
explorations detailed the consequences of 1492 in terms of complex
cultural, social, spiritual, political, economic, microbial,
epidemiological, and ideational exchanges between Europeans and indigenous
peoples.  Later works have shown that encounters are neither restricted to
these categories, nor bounded by space or time.  They are global
processes.  They preceded 1492. They continue.

We especially invite proposals that speak to and think creatively about
this year's theme of encounters and the myriad forms they have taken
across space and through time.  But we also welcome those covering other
themes as well.  Individuals may submit independently.  Complete panels
are preferred. The deadline for applications is June 15, 2004.

We are strongly encouraging electronic submissions.  All of the necessary
forms will be made accessible through the American Society for
Ethnohistory's website:  http://ethnohistory.org. Completed forms can then
be emailed directly as Microsoft Word attachments to
mcnickle at newberry.org. For those submitting proposals via U.S. Mail,
please send panel/paper abstracts, registration fees, application cover
letter, and curriculum vitae to:

ASE Program Committee
c/o D'Arcy McNickle Center for American Indian History
The Newberry Library
60 West Walton Street
Chicago, Illinois 60610

For additional information,