three doubts

Susana Moraleda-Dragotto susana at DRAGOTTO.COM
Tue Apr 20 15:01:07 UTC 2004

  I have consulted a number of books, but I am still confused about the
following and would greatly appreciate enlightment:

  (1) Plural reverential forms
    Should one add the plural suffix to a noun and then the singular
  reverential? NANTINTZIN?
    or plural suffix and plural reverential? NANTINTZITZIN?
    or no plural suffix and just plural reverential? NANTZITZIN?

  2) Stems
  Is there a rule saying that whenever there are two vowels at the end of a
stem (i.e. TOCAITL, MAITL, TEMACHTIANI) one is to delete the last vowel
(TOCA, MA, TEMACHTI) ?

  3) Endings
  Did nouns like CHICHI once had a  traditional ending? (TL, TLI, LI, IN).
Is the stem "chich"? (chichitontli or chichtontli?)

  Thank you for your help.

  Susana Moraleda