Me: Twenty Seconds to Immortality

micc2 micc2 at COX.NET
Tue Apr 20 18:04:02 UTC 2004

Just a note from the sidelines from an amateur of all things Mexican,

Before anyone jumps to an ultimate conclusion on the number of
sacrificial offerings carried out by the Mexi'ca
we need to keep in mind:

1. Any number reported by the Spanish for European audiences must be
looked up with several large grains of salt  Just like Weapons  of mass
destruction, numbers of sacrificed people can be mirages in the desert,
created for political excuses of conquest.

2.  Since the Mexi'ca were not very nice to their neighbor's, and since
their neighbors eventually exacted revenge by siding with the Spanish
invaders, their reports on the number of victims are also suspect.  NOW
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT I AM NOT A NEO-MEXI'CA REVISIONIST WHO DENIES ANY
SACRIFICES! The archeological evidence does indeed show human sacrifice
throughout the entire pre-Columbian period.   I merely propose that the
numbers have been greatly exaggerated by people who would benefit from
such "facts" (such as Christian clergy, gold seeking mercenaries, and
royal personages bent on extending their domains and tax basis....

3. the disposal of so many bodies.  where are there skeletal remains
today?  How was a massive case of rooting corpses dealt with?  No one
can surely believe that EVERYONE sacrificed was eaten as ritual communion?

4. The Otomi and nahuas of today still have ritual sacrifices of PAPER
people as part of their pre-Columbian heritage.  I theorize that the
"Thousands of victims"
were  in large part paper effigies ritually bled on and then burnt as
offerings.

For a view of how the nahua of today's Huasteca use these please see:

http://www.deneenstreet.com/Mexico/moy1.htm
<http://www.deneenstreet.com/Mexico/tep1.htm>

There is also the book "The Shaman's Touch"

"Be careful of the propaganda you  believe, it might take you to war a
half a globe away to die..."

respectfully
mario e. aguilar
www.mexicayotl.org