Me: Twenty Seconds to Immortality

micc2 micc2 at COX.NET
Tue Apr 20 22:35:38 UTC 2004

Ruben,

I have read your comments and I could not agree with you more!

I have been involved in the Danza Azteca/Chicano indigenous  movement
since 1973.  It saddens me when I hear from and read stuff written by
18-25 year old college students, or community activists that want to
re-write what they perceive as the "European propaganda" of my
community's past. Their fanaticism is up right  there with the Osama bin
Laden's followers, the fundamentalist Christian right, and the old
Maoist shinning path...

As you state there are some people who want to use our cultural,
linguistic and spiritual legacy for the betterment of our community.
But there are a small number of
individuals who cling to the Mexican indigenous identify and Pan-Indian
movements for their own selfish and personal ends. Any logical or
reasoned debate with them is useless since they immediately attack
anyone who does not follow  their way of thinking as "vendidos" and
sell-outs...  These people use the innocence and longing of  good people
to take advantage of society in general,  the Chicano/Mexicano community
in particular.

I have even hears these "spiritual" people tell first generation
Mixteco-speaking kids that nahuatl is their REAL language, and that if
they do not learn it they can never be indigenous people!!!  Here in San
Diego County we have a large Mixteco-speaking population.  These Mixteco
kids are going form Mixteco directly into English, with never a
Castilian word getting in the way (another reason why the word "Hispanic
is useless!)

When a person who wants to re-write history and ( with so little
understanding of culture, language or spirituality) at the expense of
the other indigenous people of Mexico (such as the Otomi, Tarasco,
Mixteco, Zapoteco, Mixe-Zoque, Trique, Popoloca, Guave, Seri, Huichol,
Yoreme, Cocopa, etc) they are IN FACT  DOING THE VERY THING THEY ACCUSE
THE "ARCHEAOLOCS" OF DOING- destroying our heritage and making it into a
hollywood style charicature.

It reminds me of the times I was in Mecha in the early 1970's at San
Diego State.  At that time it was "la Liga" of marxist student majority
versus the nationalists, and the indigenists (of which I was a
partisan).  And all of us where against the "vendidos" and sell-outs...

Now that that battle was "won" by the indigenists and
psuedo-nationalists,  the tables are turned! Now we have some young guns
who, having missed out on the
fabled furor of the 60's and 70's, now they want to have something to
fight about. What they do not realize is that this battle is only
between ourselves, and that energy could be put to more constructive use.

Personally, it is more important that we help keep alive today's
indigenous languages of the world;  in living and evolving ways, not for
what was, but for what hopefully could be a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic
global village.  The number of "victims" 500 years ago means squat,
compared to how many monolingual people in the highlands of Hidalgo,
Veracruz, Chiapas, Guatemala and Ecuador are going to die of
malnutrition, or be oppressed by "their" governments.

Tlein i'toa moyollo?

mario
www.mexicayotl.org