Az: Current Info, Excavations, etc

Stephanie Wood swood at DARKWING.UOREGON.EDU
Thu Apr 22 18:02:20 UTC 2004

We at the Wired Humanities Project at the University of Oregon are building
something we call the Virtual Mesoamerican Archive, with online searchable
databases of three sorts:  first, a way to find out what are the holdings of
all museums, archives, and libraries anywhere in the world with primary
source material and three-dimensional objects from Mesoamerica; second. a
way to find quality digitized materials that are already on line; and third,
to locate quality, scholarly web sites that include study of primary source
materials.

The idea it to not only create a much more efficient Google-like tool for
Mesoamericanists but also to provide encouragement for digitization.  We are
only in the early stages, but at some point we will put out a call for
people who might be willing to contribute materials (many of you have
wonderful slide collections of archaeological sites, for instance, or
photocopies of manuscripts, etc.) and/or donate their time.  This is all
being done on a non-profit basis, and we are applying for grants to help
cover the high cost of creating this tool.  We have several agreements with
archives and museums already.

Best wishes,
Stephanie Wood