Twenty Seconds to Immortality

antonio aimi antonio.aimi at TIN.IT
Fri Apr 23 13:38:58 UTC 2004

Dear colleagues,
this one is an old topic.
as far as I know the first to make the count was Sherburne Cook in 1946 (he
gives the same time: two minutes each per sacrifice- all the references are
in Hugh Thomas).
Counting time and counting skulls (Ortiz, 1983) can be interesting, but
requires good sense, the ceremonial center of Tenochtitlan was not an
industrial butchery.
Have you an idea of what requires and means to deal with so many bodies ?
The figures of some codices are impossible.
According to mexica rituals and some chronicles, I think it can be likely
the number of 5000 for whole Tenochtitlan each year.
Antonio Aimi.