three doubts

Frances Karttunen karttu at NANTUCKET.NET
Fri Apr 23 22:27:54 UTC 2004

on 4/22/04 4:12 PM, Susana Moraleda-Dragotto at susana at DRAGOTTO.COM wrote:

> Hello Fran!
> Thanks a lot for your reply. You are always so marvelous!! I have
> another
> question: What happens when you place the third-person singular possessive
> prefix to a word starting with a vowel?
> ialtepeuh?
> iez?
> iicniuh?
> iocelo?

When the third person singular possessive prefix i:- (long vowel) is added
to a stem beginning with i, in principle there are three morae (i:-i), but
Nahuatl does not distinguish long vowels from overlong vowels, so
perceptually i:-i is equivalent to simple i:-.

> I had written to you in the past just to let you know that I hadn't
> forgotten you, and that I cherish happy souvenirs of the Nahuatl course I
> attended with you in Helsinki, but I am afraid you didn't receive my
> messages.

I suppose I haven't, and I am sorry I didn't get your messages.  That was a
food time in Helsinki.

Al says hello.  He recalls our supper with you in Rome with great fondness.

Fran