petate and metate

John F. Schwaller schwallr at mrs.umn.edu
Thu Apr 29 14:33:21 UTC 2004

At 05:04 AM 4/29/2004, you wrote:
>I believe "petate" is from "petl-atl," or "water rock," or, something
>that can make stone feel as soft as water.  I think "metate" is from
>"metl-atl," or "moon-water."  I'm not as convinced about this metaphor,
>but I think maybe it has to do with creating the water (atl) from which
>the moon (metl) is created -- the moon being "tlaxcalli (tortilla)."

No.  Metlatl and petlatl are not "from" anything.  They just are.  The moon
is mixtli.  Metaphorically or symbolically it might be compared to a
tortilla, just as we refer top it as green cheese.

John F. Schwaller
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Dean
315 Behmler Hall
University of Minnesota, Morris
600 E 4th Street
Morris, MN  56267