Malintzin

Dan Deneen deneen at VALLEY.NET
Thu Apr 29 22:17:53 UTC 2004

Max,
The problem, though, with Bernal Diaz's account is that is doesn't square
with indigenous sources; Sahagun, Book 12, has the interpreter called
Malintzin, while Cortes is referred to only as the Capitan or the Marques.
In fact, it is only if we bank on Bernal Diaz that there is a "problem" of
the captain and his interpreter both being called
"Malinche/Malintzin"---someone please tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't BD the
only source for the shared name story?  Who else calls Cortes "Malinche?"
My earlier posting to the group is partly an effort to find some reason to
hold on to Diaz's intriguing detail; but absent some evidence for a
tradition of shared names in analogous circumstances, it seems that the best
conclusion might just be that the old soldier was confused on this point.
He is so emphatic on the point it is hard to imagine it being invented of
whole cloth, but is there anything else to support him?

I shall look forward to reading your book on Malinche in mesoamerican dance.
Thanks for the tip.

-Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Nahua language and culture discussion
[mailto:NAHUAT-L at LISTS.UMN.EDU]On Behalf Of MAX R HARRIS
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 3:00 PM
To: NAHUAT-L at LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: Malintzin

Dan,

I know of no other sources that call both Cortes and his mistress/translator
Malinche. The most persuasive explanation I've come across for the Nahua
giving Cortes his female translator's name (assuming Bernal Diaz's account
is correct on this detail) is that it was she who spoke for him, i.e. she is
his voice, so he bears her name. (Unfortunately, I can't remember the source
of this explanation: I suspect it was offered verbally at a conference
rather than published anywhere!) Whether it diminished Cortes in the Nahua
mind to give him a female interpreter's name, I don't know.

I have, however, made several lengthy attempts to understand the role of
Malinche in Mesoamerican danzas. The Malinche of the dances is emphatically
not Cortes's translator, but generally either partners Moctezuma (in
conquest dances) or is independent. The notion of Malinche as an ixiptla in
this context is not a bad one. Her name in the dances may derive, like the
mountain in the state of Tlaxcala now known as La Malinche, from a
pre-Christian deity, Matlalcueye. But it may also derive from the imported
Spanish "deity," the Virgin Mary. "Blessed Maria" becomes in Nahuatl
"Malintzin," or, in hispancized Nahautl, "Malinche." That the name
Maringuilla, or "little Mary," is often substituted for Malinche in the
danzas, perhaps suggests that the link with the Virgin is more likely. But
the two derivations are not mutually exclusive.

If you're interested, you can read my developing thoughts on the Malinche of
the dances at greater length in:
"Moctezuma's Daughter: The Role of La Malinche in Mesoamerican Dance," The
Journal of American Folklore 109 (1996):149-177
"Sweet Moll and Malinche: Maid Marian Goes to Mexico," in Playing Robin
Hood: The Legend as Performance in Five Centuries, ed. Lois Potter
(Associated University Presses, 1998), 101-110.
Aztecs, Moors, and Christians: Festivals of Reconquest in Mexico and Spain
(University of Texas Press, 2000), 237-250
Carnival and Other Christian Festivals: Folk Theology and Folk Performance
(University of Texas Press, 2003), 50-64.
The latter pieces modify and (I hope) correct the earlier in ceryain
details.

As for the historical Malinche, my own best guess at this point would be
that her baptismal name was Maria, to which the Nahua honorific -tzin was
added in recognition of her stature as Cortes's mouthpiece, so becoming, in
Nahuatl, "Malintzin," and, in hispanicized Nahuatl, "Malinche." In other
words, her name slid from Maria to Malinche just like the Virgin Mary after
whom she was renamed at her baptism.

Best wishes,

Max

Max Harris, Executive Director