Tecuhtli, teuctli, tekwtli

Mark David Morris mdmorris at INDIANA.EDU
Fri Apr 30 17:25:20 UTC 2004

As for teuctli being more misrepresenting than tecuhtli, I hold the
opposite.  At least as I pronounce the word, what is going on is that a
subordinate consonant is being inserted within a longer vocal dipthong,
something like tewcwtli or it could be pronounced with the consonant
displacing the dipthong like tektli.  I have a larger agenda against
tecuhtli, however, because I believe that the word is a nominalization of
teu/o, and, in that light, I'm compiling references to divinities,
sorcerers etc. to see if that hypothesis has substance.

best,
Mark Morris

Oh, as a non-sequituir on pronunciations, I was tickled a couple years ago
to see that some neighbors over the way had "Clacoyos" for sale along
with quesadillas and memelitas.  What was interesting about that was that
it accurately represented one half of the way people, particularly women,
pronounce "tl" in that region, with the tongue sort of hitting the palate
lightly and then moving down not to produce a well-defined "tl" but more
of an ambiguous clicking-type of consonant that has elements of both "tl"
and "kl."

Finally on ephemera:  Mexican Spanish machinquepa is Nahuatl motzinquepa

Does anyone know the source of Huarache?

La muerte tiene permiso a todo

MDM, PhD Candidate
Dept. of History, Indiana Univ.