three doubts

Frances Karttunen karttu at NANTUCKET.NET
Tue Apr 20 19:58:03 UTC 2004

Hello Susana!

> (1) Plural reverential forms
> Should one add the plural suffix to a noun and then the singular
> reverential? NANTINTZIN?
> or plural suffix and plural reverential? NANTINTZITZIN?
> or no plural suffix and just plural reverential? NANTZITZIN?

The honorific goes between the noun stem and the absolutive suffix (singular
or plural). The honorific suffix reduplicates in the plural.  Singular
-tzin-tli; plural -tzitzin-tin.  In possessed forms, the singular is -tzin
and the plural is -tzitzin-huan.

> 2) Stems
> Is there a rule saying that whenever there are two vowels at the end of a
> stem (i.e. TOCAITL, MAITL, TEMACHTIANI) one is to delete the last vowel
> (TOCA, MA, TEMACHTI) ?

No.  A number of "small" words like tocaitl and maitl drop the -i- as well
as the absolutive suffix to form the stem (toca-, ma-).  Temachtiani doesn't
drop anything.  It's a noun derived from a verb, and doesn't take a singular
absolutive suffix (-tl or -in).  The plural is formed either by adding a
final saltillo (temachtianih) or by suppletion (temachtihqueh).

> 3) Endings
> Did nouns like CHICHI once have a  traditional ending? (TL, TLI, LI, IN).

No.  It is thought to be a loan word.

> Is the stem "chich"?

No. It is chichi.

> (chichitontli or chichtontli?)

Chichiton. I don't think there would be anything wrong with chichitontli,
though.  The plural is chichitotontin.

But this is just based on the body of classical Nahuatl texts.
Geographically and temporally there is lots of variation, so one can't
really say anything is absolutely right or wrong.

Fran