Az: Current Info, Excavations, etc

harvey.west at COX.NET harvey.west at COX.NET
Thu Apr 22 14:35:05 UTC 2004

You might try typing 'Aztec' into Google and following the many links that come up.  The first link is the Calendar.  You might also try the UNAM, Templo Mayor, and INAH websites.  I am more interested in the Nahua speakers in the Valley of Mexico than in the Mayan people.  There are many sources of material on precolumbian Nahua culture in both Nahua and Spanish.  The poetry of Nezahualcoyotl is in print today in Nahua and Spanish.  How much time do you have?  The sites in Mexico City are there to visit from the Summer Palace of Nezahuacoyotl at Tetzcotzinco near Texcoco to the Cerro de las Estrellas where the 'new fire' ceremony was performed every 52 years.  You can't put a spade into the dirt in Mexico without uncovering the pre-Columbian past.  John Carlson at University of Maryland is a Mexicanist more than a Mayanist; he has a website dedicated to archeo-astronomy.

I warn you, it is like a drug.  Once, you start, it is hard to stop.  Mexico is utterly enchanting.

> From: "Chi:chi:ltic Coyo:tl" <notoca at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Date: 2004/04/22 Thu AM 07:37:50 EDT
> To: NAHUAT-L at LISTS.UMN.EDU
> Subject: Az: Current Info, Excavations, etc
>
> Hi
>

> How does one find out what is happening today in the non-Maya parts of
> Mexico (eg Aztecs, Huastecs, Totonacs, Purepecha, etc) as far as new
> information, excavations, etc? I get to hear very little new information.
> What resources are there available. I see many posts on this list about the
> Maya and I'm "hungry" for the same sort of info on the non Maya world of
> Mexico.
>

> Thanks
>

> Chichiltic Coyotl

Harvey West