Tecuhtli, teuctli, tekwtli

Michael McCafferty mmccaffe at INDIANA.EDU
Thu Apr 29 17:09:01 UTC 2004

Quoting "<Mario E. Aguilar>" <micc2 at COX.NET>:

> Especially when the remedy "teuctli" is worse than the ailment "tecutli"  I
> have hear novices try to say
> te-uc-tli and think that that is correct.  I would rather have people say
> te-cu-tli (closer to the real te-Kw-tl) and later try to explain live and in
> person the "exotic" sound of Kw!

But it is important to remember that, in teaching the erroneous
pronunciation "te-cu-tli," you are also engraving in their memories the
possibility that -tli is added to stems that end in vowels, which is not
true. -tli is added to stems that end in consonants, which is exactly
what /te:kw-/ is.

The pronunciation of [te:kw-] is as simple as pie to teach and to learn. I
teach it to my students in 30 seconds. As I noted earlier, the problem is
really not pronunciation; the problem is a confusing orthography. However, if
the teacher does not have a firm grasp of Nahuatl phonetics, then the student
may not have the opportunity to learn the pronunciation correctly.

Michael